Sunday, September 30, 2007

The year of the underdog...Go TRIBE!

Underdog is back! No I don't mean the ill-advised movie about the cartoon wonderpup of the 60's...let's face it...no Wally Cox...no Underdog. Nope the BASEBALL underdog...

Those of you who know me understood that it was just a matter of time before I posted concerning my beloved Cleveland Indians winning the AL Central division pennant and heading to the playoffs for the first time since 2001. Those of you who are not baseball fans (cover your ears, Mildred...they don't really mean it!) don't get why we horsehide enthusiasts live for this time of the year...and I guess on some levels I get it too...While I watch the Grammys (until the Daylights and Dave Madden are nominated...then that changes) and the Oscars, I don't get fired up over them like a lot of people do. I'll watch a few World Cup matches, or NBA and NFL games...but October is the time of the year I live for, whether the Indians are involved or not. The Cleveland Indians are considered a "small market team", which essentially translates to...you ain't got New York, Boston or LA money so there's no way you can compete with the big boys. We have had a few exceptions to that rule in recent years, but this year it is an incredible, almost eerie phenomenon, because while the Angels, Red Sox and Yankees are back in the playoffs to no one's surprise, the rest of the lineup are a batch of small market, young roster upstarts... including the afore-mentioned Cleveland Indians. The Tigers and the WhiteSox, the last two American league champions were supposed to dominate the Central, but it was the young feisty Indians that came out on top. In the National League the sad sack Phillies who haven't been in the playoffs in 14 years, played flawless ball down the stretch to catch the collapsing Mets and win the division on the last day of the season. The Arizona Diamondbacks, another very young ballclub who folks kept expecting to fade in the final days hung in there to win the National League West and the perennial losers, the Chicago Cubbies, outlasted another young club, the Milwaukee Brewers to take the NL Central. Perhaps the best story of the season is the babyfaced Colorado Rockies with only one post season appearance in their history came from nowhere (they only lost one game in the last two weeks of the season) to tie the San Diego Padres for the wildcard spot on the last day of the season and will play a one-game face-off for the right to enter the playoffs.

Underdogs...we love them...maybe because we all consider ourselves small-market underdogs on some level. Maybe because we all like to see the big boys take it on the chin every now and then. Maybe long odds and great courage define for us what is good and noble in the human spirit...I'm not sure, but I do know every successful sports movie in the last 50 years has this element at its core...someone, some team, some city, some coach does the unthinkable with the unlikeliest of resources and we cheer...whether it is Rocky Balboa hanging in there for 15 rounds against Apollo Creed or the '84 US Olympic Hockey Team stunning the invincible Russians, or Benny "The Jet" Rodriguiz besting The Beast in "The Sandlot", we all know the storyline and yet we are compelled to watch and hope and rejoice when the unlikely victory comes.

In any other year I would love to see the Cubs shake off their century long frustration and win another World Series...The DBacks already have a World Championship and the Angels, BoSox (sorry Milton and Christy) and Pinstripers (sorry Calla and Ariele) are the evil empire so I can't pull for them... I might even pull for the Phillies (Charlie Manuel used to manage the Tribe several years ago) and it would be very tempting to cheer on those spunky young Rockies should they win their way in...but I can't do it. I have to be loyal to my Indians. I have been a Cleveland Indians fan since the late 1950's (yup...I really am that old) when all of us kids on our own sandlot picked our favorite team...and I picked the Tribe. They were not very good back then...actually they were one of the worst teams in baseball up until the late nineties when they managed to make it to the World Series twice ...losing both times. But...through thick and thin...lots and lots of thin...I have been a real fan...I've only been to the city of Cleveland twice in my life...both times to see Cleveland Indians games. It is true they are young, but my hope runs high and my loyalty eternal... They play the Yankees in the first round...and they were 0-fer for the season...no wins, 6 losses against the Yankees this season...but the playoffs are a new season and we'll see if it is the Tribe who dons the cape and flys off howling into the sunset with its first World Series crown since 1948...even Wally Cox would speak up for that underdog...GO TRIBE!

Pling...Pling...

dg

9 comments:

don't eat alone said...

Davy

I'm pulling for the Tribe -- THIS WEEK. It's time for you guys to rise up and beat the dreaded Yankees. You're 0-6 against them this year, but that's so regular season. This is October. Go get 'em!

(And then we'll beat you in the ALCS.)

Peace,
Milton

Anonymous said...

Ditto, Milton.

Go Tribe!
Christy

dg said...

Well, the baseball guy in me knows that you guys have the most complete rostor in baseball, starting pitching, middle relief (Gagne will be fine), great closer , defense and a scary lineup 1-9 hitting the ball. I wish we would be able to play a 7 game series against the Yankees so that Sabathia and Carmona would both get 2 starts, but that's the way it goes...It's gonna be fun!

Anonymous said...

go Tribe!

i also agree that if not the Indians, at least the Phillies. as long as it isn't the Pinstripers.

Ariele Danea said...

you pinstripe haters will get eaten by pinstripeshadow monsters someday. or maybe weredragons. but all in all in all...i'll give props to cleveland.

dg said...

Well, even thoughI am a Triber, I really like A-Rod, Jeter, Roger and Joe Torre...I actually was pulling for them to make the playoffs because I knew that if Cleveland was going to go all the way they needed to exorcise some regular season demons and take care of the Yankees...but now my underdog team is the Rockies and my favorite Rockie is Tim Tulowitski, the rookie shortstop...now that is a ballplayer's ballplayer...Hopefully I get a chance to root against him in the World Series

dg

don't eat alone said...

DAVY

TELL YOUR BOYS TO FINISH THE JOB!

Peace,
Milton

don't eat alone said...

Go Sox! :-)

Peace,
Milton

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.