Friday, December 26, 2008

Home for Christmas...




As far as I'm concerned there really only needs to be one guy singing Christmas carols every year...Bing Crosby. He sang a whole lot of other stuff in his illustrious career, but seems to get remembered these days primarily as the guy who sings White Christmas better than anybody, past or present, on the planet. The great debate every year at our house is which is better, "Holiday Inn" or "White Christmas" the two Bing Crosby Christmas movies released several years apart that prominently feature the song White Christmas. I prefer "Holiday Inn" because it was chronologically first, but my girls like "White Christmas" better because Fred Astaire is really mean in "Holiday Inn". By the way, I just reconsidered and the only other Christmas album that should be allowed is the "John Denver and the Muppets" Christmas album. I'm not kidding...it is brilliant in every way! Animal rocks!

Anyway, my other favorite Christmas song to hear Bing sing is another World War II era song entitled, "I'll be Home for Christmas". It, of course, has been covered many, many times since Bing, but there is something about hearing that smooth, rolling, mellow, baritone voice promising that whatever it takes, he'll not let anything stand In the way of being with the ones he loves at home for Christmas. My mom and dad lived in the same house on Myrtlewood Street in Baton Rouge for almost thirty years. It was the place I came back to when I was in college and then after I was married with my own family. A number of years ago my parents moved to the woods in Mississippi and my mom still lives there presently, even though my dad passed away 4 years ago. I go there to see her, but it's not really like going "home". My girls are 25, 22, and 21 and have been off at college and across the country for the last several years. Because of traveling to different churches to minister and other financial reasons in recent years, they don't have a childhood homestead to come back to either. Almost 2 years ago I decided to downsize and leave the suburbs to move into the city to be nearer to the population center of Austin as well as nearer the warehouse. I moved into a two bedroom,one bath duplex that Brian and Lorraine generously rent to me for much less than it is worth, but as many who have done this will agree, moving from a four-bedroom house and all of the crap you buy to fill it up to a smaller place is an adjustment... a very healthy one, but an adjustment nonetheless. When it is just Cleveland and I we have more room than we need, but when all three girls are home as they have been for the holidays, it becomes very interesting. It still is no problem because I know that the space we are in is many, many times larger than the homes and shelters that the majority of the world live in, so, I am grateful on many levels. I guess what I am saying is that, for me, this Christmas I am reminded again that Bing had it right...I won't always have the gift of either being home or having my family all in one place at every holiday. As the years pass we lose family members to death and life. I pray daily for my friends Scott and Sarah who spend this Christmas without little Thomas who would have been enjoying his third Christmas had not cancer stolen him away last August. My dad was killed in an automobile accident in December of '04 and he loved family all of the time, but especially having as many of them around as possible at Christmas...mainly the kids who loved to argue with him about whether he was a "sweet-tater" or an "agi-tater".

So...I'm humming along with Bing...and enjoying my amazing daughters, and remembering not to take a minute of it for granted. And go rent "Holiday Inn"...Bing's heirs will thank you.

Pling...Pling...

dg

6 comments:

JJ said...

The pictures are perfection. Thanks for sharing.

I feel your pain and your joy of the downsizing. I went from a three bedroom house to a 200 square foot apartment, but I wouldn't change a thing.

Have a great rest of your year and I hope to see you in the new one.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but your comments leave me to say what I think. Not to change your "idea" about Christmas but to give you another opinion. Even though I have heard Bing's song I'll be home for Christmas a thousand times, I googled the words to make sure I wasn't wrong. But nowhere in that song does it mention the childhood homestead. To make a long story short, Christmas is not the house where you have memories, it is the memories. I know that neighborhood you fondly remember and it isn't the same now. Like you said time may change where we live but that doesn't change Christmas nor does it make you long to be back at Myrtlewood Street. Ask your girls, Christmas is where you are, it is where your mother lives. It is you, it is your mother, it is traditions you share with each other. So your 'four walls' looks different. Home is where your loves ones live. Go to Mississippi and look within the home not at the house. By the way you and your girls look extremely happy and that is what it is all about!! right?

dg said...

Thanks for your candor, and you are absolutely correct, Bing or the writer of the song probably didn't have that in mind at all, so it is more likely that my response to Bing is more about the baggage I bring to the table and way I hear the song. I agree that home has little to do with a physical location and more about individual and familial bonds, and my girls and I do indeed share that, no matter where we celebrate, or how far away from each other we are. Thanks for reminding me...

dg

Anonymous said...

dg
if you let go of your baggage, it will make you walk in life alot easier. (p.s. no candor intended, just sharing life's lessons)

leona christian said...

excuse me, anonymous. you're a jerk.

Anonymous said...

Leona,
I'm in hopes that one day you will look back as I did today. By your comment my words must have failed misberably. I'm so sorry if I offended you and most of all if I offended David now he can see into my heart and understand. May I offer not an excuse but an explanation. I too walked the halls of Glen Oaks High, played in the streets and attended the same church. I knew David when those beautiful girls of his was only a twinkle in David's eyes. So I know that home he referred to. His blog seemed so sad to think back. To let our minds wonder back home and wish we were there. That home just isn't there anymore. Our parents, our families, our friends are all gone. The last homecoming in our church was 1979 because the church isn't there anymore also. To me it is sad. I miss, the Gentiles, the Smiths, the Prescotts, the Hites and I think you can see. I just didn't want David to feel sad and long for home. You see all of us are gone, we all have moved to different places, new places. I just wanted David to love the moment with his daughters and home is there with them. I again apologize to you for sounding so rude and I hope David saw what I was trying to say.