Saturday, August 23, 2008

Olympic Opining


I'm one of those Olympic junkies...I watch everything from badminton to field hockey and check the medal count to see if the US is still ahead. I don't have any rabid patriotism-we're-better-than-they-are things going on...I suspect it is just my competitive nature kicking in. But as the games wind down to the closing ceremonies, I thought I'd offer an observation or two about a few names we've seen or heard in the past few weeks.

Michael Phelps - We'll get him out of the way first - amazing, monumental achievement with 8 golds, thanks to clutch performances by Jason Lezak on the anchor swim of two medleys...but is there anybody else that thinks he's a bit of a big inarticulate goober. I know he answered the same three questions a bazillion times and I can't blame him for zoning out to parrot the same things he said every time he got asked...and he is after all a swimmer and not a professional speaker, but then, I listen to 16 year old gymnast Shawn Johnson answer difficult questions with insight, passion and compassion, as well as a wise-beyond-her-years respect and graciousness for both her teammates and opponents. She's cute as a button and won't it be cool when she goes back to high school this fall and is sitting in English class just like everybody else!

Dara Torres - She's 41 and she's faster than almost every swimmer more than half her age...and oh yeah...she hot. But none of those things are the main reasons she impresses me. Coming back to competitive swimming after giving birth to her baby girl less than two years ago and winning a total of 12 Olympic medals in her career that began in the 1984 games in LA is impressive enough, but it was her joyful attitude and irrepressible smile that won me over. And then, just as her semi-final heat was set to begin, she had the presence of mind to lobby for extra time for an opponent who had a wardrobe malfunction and had to go back to change her suit. Dara, notified the officials so they wouldn't start the race without the absent swimmer and then calmed the rest of the field down as they waited. That's class...and maturity. And by the way...if she wants to marry me...tell her I'm OK with that.

Usain Bolt - I actually consider Bolt (is that not the most appropriate runner's name ever?) who won three gold medals by breaking world records (easily I might add) in the 100 and 200 the most amazing story of these games. The 22 year old Jamaican speedster, has such a contagious delight for life and running that it was hard not to smile every time he left the starting blocks. He is a rising star and an entertaining one at that.

The NBC broadcast team - OK, it is a little strange, perhaps, to mention these guys, but I think several deserve special note.

Bob Costas - I just love Bob Costas. He is the consummate professional, incredibly knowledgeable, but was never so serious that he couldn't laugh at himself or see the lighter side of many of the happenings during the games. And he's a baseball guy...need I say more?

Mary Carillo - This former women's tennis pro had really only done tennis broadcasts before this, but she appeared throughout the games as an analyst and commentator, often doing special interest reports. I've always liked her, but never seen the human, compassionate side of her...I think this should propel her to do more than just tennis in the days to come.

Andrea Joyce - Andrea has been around sports broadcasting for a long time, and mostly did sideline interviews with the athletes after their competitions. I've never been a big fan, but after she decimated American gymnast Alicia Sacramone, insisting on hammering her with inane humiliating questions over and over, I'd had enough. I don't understand why it is necessary to add insult to injury by asking obvious questions and seemingly intentionally hoping for a an emotional breakdown. No class...no compassion...no bueno.

So...we'll wait to see if the closing ceremonies are as mind-blowing as the opening ones and look forward to the games in London in 2012. Maybe I'll be in the stands at the pool there cheering on my recent bride, Dara. Well a guy can can have Olympic dreams can't he?

Pling...Pling...

dg

19 comments:

Ariele Danea said...

thanks, dear sir, for the encouragement. always.

Anonymous said...

i didn't know you were that much of a sports nut! we need to talk...

peace

carl

D. Wright said...

My God
You are SUCH the Olympic ninny.
What--no comments on men's field hockey or trampoline?

Jeez. I hope you wear a skirt when watching the gymnastics.
Then again, I remember a Camp Party where you appeared in drag. Very ugly drag.
Very. Ugly.
That was in the previous millenium. We were both different people then.

OK, so I found your site.
Since you don't answer phone calls,
perhaps we can connect this way.
Up to you.

Courage, Peace& Grace
David "Big Papi" Ortiz-Wright

Jenica said...

Hi David,
So I wanted to email you this morning, but then noticed that I don't actually have your current one, and the journey website doesn't have any contact info! (or maybe I just completely missed it, it's very possible) Could you maybe email it to me at jenicajones@gmail.com? I would be ever most grateful. Hope you're doing well!
Jenica

Anonymous said...

zolpidem no prescription possible side effects zolpidem - cost of zolpidem 5mg

Anonymous said...

buy xanax xanax side effects nausea - online pharmacy xanax no prescription

Anonymous said...

ativan mg ativan dosage .5 mg - ativan side effects sleep

Anonymous said...

lorazepam no prescription ativan urban dictionary - ativan 3 times daily

Anonymous said...

diazepam 10 mg difference between diazepam valium - valium diazepam withdrawal

Anonymous said...

order diazepam can i buy diazepam online - drug interactions with diazepam and omeprazole

Anonymous said...

purchase ativan ativan medication - ativan overdose icd 9 code

Anonymous said...

discount ativan ativan prescribing information - 1mg lorazepam compared 1 mg xanax

Anonymous said...

ambien 5 ambien 9 panel drug screen - ambien seizure medication

Anonymous said...

buy carisoprodol carisoprodol long term use - soma sleep medication

Anonymous said...

soma for sale order soma cod - uses for carisoprodol

Anonymous said...

buy soma online what do generic somas look like - buy soma cod overnight

Anonymous said...

buy soma buy soma online cheap no prescription - soma printable coupon 2012

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online photo of ambien pill - generic ambien no rx

Anonymous said...

buy valium online much valium cost - valium side effects humans