Friday, February 1, 2008

An Ariele-ian Word...


Ariele is my eldest daughter, and in my humble, but terribly subjective opinion, a marvelous handler of words. Some of her work is found on her blog at http://stvespertine.blogspot.com. Here is one of her latest...



cold.


all the world's a shakespearean stage.

it's difficult to know if one's a tragedian or a comedian.
graham greene writes that you are a tragedian if you would die for love,
but i think the very notion is stupid...to die for romantic love, anyhow.
romeo and juliet--idiots. to drain your blood because your lover is dead is lame.

but to throw yourself upon the tracks to save your lover, your sister,
your mother, a friend, an enemy--is heartwrenching, powerful, ultimately noble.
self-sacrifice is something entirely different. such a thing
moves me every time in all aspects of art and history

we all play parts...to please? to mollify? to anger?
i enjoy playing the iconoclast, the devil's advocate, though i advocate no devil.
but i am no iago. i am no ophelia, either.


truth be told, i probably love badly.
truth be told, i'm a lousy social being.
other people creatures--they frighten me.
i'm a paralyzed parody of self-aware induced awkwardness.
my heart flies a kite and i become a cold cold woman of the future.
my veins turn to silver. my lips and eyes go glossy grey.


mr. shakespeare, what would you say?


Well... Willy S. and I never really spent much time hanging out, so this is just a guess, but my hunch, Miss REL, is that he would say, "This above all: to thine own self be true". - Hamlet (Act I, Scene III). At least that's what your very proud dad would say...

Pling...Pling...

dg

No comments: